Aug 30, 2012
Zanrec Plastics aim to develop infrastructure for collecting plastics and implementing recycling systems. This project will employ local populations, raise awareness on solid waste management and convert used plastics into value-added products. The end-to-end collection system will handle and recycle 500 tons of plastic that will generate an equivalent to 2000 full time employees.
Zanrec Plastics inclusive business project concerns the implementation of a locally adapted, commercially driven recycling and plastic waste management system that generates maximum social and environmental impact. Zanrec Plastics business model is to buy used plastic from waste pickers via a plastic refund system, then recycle and process the plastics into value-added products.
The aim for Zanrec Plastic Ltd is to be a catalyst for long-term change towards a cleaner and richer Zanzibar through:
• Increased local awareness about recycling and waste management;
• Collection of waste-streams by engagement at all levels of society;
• Production and sales of eco-social raw material and products.
The system will be designed as a Public Private Partnership (PPP), where Zanrec Plastics Ltd will be responsible for developing, implementing, and operating the system, as well as designing, building and managing a plastic processing plant. The public and private sectors will be involved through a steering committee, bringing all local stakeholders together to develop appropriate policies, legislation and strategies for creating a favourable business environment for effective solid waste management. Key areas within the system involve an innovative awareness and engagement strategy, functional logistical solutions and a green production centre for local and global products.
Expected impacts year three include:
• The end-to-end collection system will handle and recycle 500 tons of plastic that will generate an equivalent to 2000 full time employees.
• Up to 100 people employed at the processing plant.
• Approximately 50 000 elementary students trained in recycling and environmental awareness.
• Approximately 500 000 individuals informed about recycling and Zanrec Plastics.
IAP support will focus on developing the infrastructure for collecting plastics and implementing the recycling system, as well as developing an operational strategy and commercial plan for implementation, expansion and internationalization.
For more information refer to http://businessinnovationfacility.org/page/project-profile-zanrec-plasti...